jeudi 22 mars 2012

Where it all began

Since I am new to all this blogging thing, I will take a few lines to talk about myself. I have been an avid follower of some bloggers, not always commenting but always appreciating their generosity and incredible writing talents. Again, if you find typos, I am very sorry and I will work on it to improve my writing skills!

I have been a huge fan of RPG games for a long time. Unfortunately,  most of my friends at the time were not interested in those kind of games at all. The only way for me to play some RPG was on a video game console, mostly on my own. A few years later, I was 15 at the time, I got my first job at a summer camp where, each year, they had a theme and a small theatrical event every night. The following year, I ended up as a member of the team creating the new theme and writing the play. I took the role of the bad guy and had a blast creating his story and writing his text. I could say that it was my first real RP experience. Since then, I tried to find new opportunities to create characters but couldn't really do it. Lack of time and resources, lack of friends with common interests, everything seemed against me. I didn't have a very powerful PC at the time so all the "Ultima Online" and other games of the sort were inaccessible to me. I kept on playing RPG games on Playstation and Playstation 2, mostly the Final Fantasy series. I loved the storyline of (almost) all of the FF games but still felt a bit trapped. I had to act the scenario that was already written and the main characters usually had a pretty detailed background story. Then, Final Fantasy XI came out on the Playstation 2. OMG! I could finally create my own character, his/her story and play with as many people as I wanted! I played for quite some time with a real-life friend of mine I met at the university. Later on, when I bought a good computer that I could finally play on, another friend of mine showed me World of Warcraft and I began to play the following week. I played for over 7 years, on different servers, in different regions, and finally decided to stop last year.

Even though I never really tried to play on a RP server, I still loved to create some kind of background story for my characters. Most of my recent main characters do have one. From my Tauren Druid who lost his parents when he was still very young, killed in the Charred Vale while trying to restore it, who then took over himself to finish what his parents had started, to my Night Elf Hunter who got bored of the same old Teldrassil and, wanting some fresh air, traveled all around the world with her faithful companion Shadowstorm. I wanted my Worgen Death Knight to have that kind of story.  But I found out that it was harder than I thought...

Worgen is my favorite race, at least on Alliance side. The storyline of how you become a Worgen and what leads your race to Darnassus is very compelling. I loved it. As for the Death Knight class, I have to say that I really love the lore surrounding your rebirth and how you and the other Death Knights manage to break the hold the Lich King has on your soul. However, mix "Worgen" and "Death Knight" together and you have... eh... what seems like a quick patch of lore to explain how the two mixes together. Some say it's impossible, some say that Worgens shouldn't be able to roll as Death Knights, and some just don't care. But I do care. A lot! So, taking what I could from the game, the comic book, as well as all the verified (and sometimes speculative) lore I could find on the Internet about the Worgens (both before AND after the Cataclysm), I crafted a story for him.

Unfortunately, my Druid was taking most of my time so I did not had all the time I wanted to work on my Worgen's background story. And the fact that I left WoW behind recently did not help either.

Earlier this year, I stumbled upon my file and read the 30 or so pages I wrote. I really loved what I had written in there and I did not want his story to be put aside. I decided to keep my characters, but recreate the world they live in from scratch and remove every trace of WoW. I am still in a very early state of writing, having only rewritten the first 4 pages. It is pretty hard since all my stories are in French and, because I was thinking of posting that new story in some way on the web, I decided to translate everything in English as well. BBB's writing challenge, as well as a few good comments I received here and there, probably gave me the courage I needed to continue this project. I really loved writing the small text about my main character so, even if I was not expecting to post anything until this summer, I might speed things up a bit.

As a first step, I will translate all of Chapter 1 of my Worgen's story, roughly 19 pages of text, and post it here on the blog in two or three parts. Chapter 2 however might not be posted here. With only 10 pages of rough text and a few ideas left to fully develop, I don't know if I'll have (or take) the time to finish it. I want to invest that time in writing the new story instead.

 So stay tuned! And thank you in advance for your support.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire